“My mother says I didn’t open my eyes for eight days after I was born,” Elizabeth Taylor once said. “But when I did, the first thing I saw was an engagement ring. I was hooked.”
Liz showing off her Krupp diamond given to her by 5th husband Richard Burton
With a jewelry collection valued at approximately $150 million, Elizabeth Taylor was truly a lover of the bling, and the men in her life knew it too. She says “I mean, how many young women get a set of rubies just for doing something wholesome like swimming laps? Or win a diamond ring at Ping-Pong with their husband…?”
Harry Winston 33.19-carat asscher-cut diamond, considered one of the world’s most flawless diamonds.
Throughout her life and her eight marriages to seven men, she became known for her outlandish jewels. ”I’m fortunate to have some very important pieces of jewelry. I don’t believe I own any of the pieces. I believe that I am their custodian, here to enjoy them, to give them the best treatment in the world, to watch after their safety, and to love them.”
And love them she did.
But aside from the famous Taylor-Burton Diamond, the Krupp diamond, and La Pelegrina Pearl, RingSpotters wanted to know more about the engagement rings and other jewels that she received from her seven beaus.
1. Conrad Hilton Jr., May 1950. Liz received a 4 carat diamond platinum ring worth $10,000. She was 18.
2. Michael Wilding, February 1952. For her second engagement ring, she sported a cabochon sapphire. Some sources say that Michael bought it for her, while others say she bought it on her own. And the sapphire engagement trend began…
3. Mike Todd, February 1957: Her third engagement ring was seven times bigger than her first. Todd gave her a 29.4 carat emerald cut stunner, said to have been one of the more regal pieces she received from her lovers. (He also gave her the famous Cartier tiara before he passed away.)
4. Eddie Fisher, May 1959: Fourth Husband Eddie Fisher once said that “a $50,000 diamond could keep Taylor happy for approximately four days”. Nevertheless, he presented her with a bracelet of 50 diamonds as an engagement present. (In fact, when Taylor overdosed, he gave her a 10 carat yellow diamond ring for her 30th birthday and a mirror set with emeralds).
5. Richard Burton, March 1964. As an engagement present, Richard Burton forewent the ring and gave her a platinum-set Bulgari pendant featuring a 18.61 carat emerald surrounded by diamonds, designed so it could be detached and worn as a brooch. (She received her most famous jewels from Burton including the Krupp, Taylor Burton Diamond, and La Pelegrina).
6. Richard Burton, October 1975: They divorced and re-married again in 1975, celebrating their wedding in Botswana, Africa. Richard Burton purchased the Grand Duchess of Russia’s emeralds which Taylor unveiled at her second wedding to Burton. Set by Bvlgari, the suite includes earrings, a necklace, and a bracelet.
7. Senator John Warner, December 1976: Warner was said to have been very controlling, telling Taylor “that Hollywood stuff and jewels will have to go”. But like the others before him, he caved. Sources say that he proposed with a diamond ring, while others say that he proposed with a dazzling ring made of rubies, diamonds and emeralds. After all, what do you give Elizabeth Taylor on her 7th engagement?
8. Larry Fortensky, October 1991: Construction worker Larry Fortensky met Taylor, then 21 years his senior at the Betty Ford center and apparently didn’t know who she was. She is said to have proposed to him and, unfortunately we didn’t find any details on her ring aside from the fact that she wore a pave wedding band. Their famously “wacky” $2 million wedding took place at Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch where he walked a Valentino clad Liz down the aisle.
My Love Affair with Jewelry by Elizabeth Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor, A Passion for Life: The Wit and Wisdom of a Legend by Joseph Papa, My Love Affair with Jewelry by Elizabeth Taylor, Elizabeth by J. Randy Tarraborelli
Recordsitereviews.com, WeddingTipsBlogspot.com, Thenaturalsapphirecompany.com, Huliq.com, Liveabsolute.me, FashionJewelryBrands.com, 1791Diamonds.com, Weddingroundups.com, People.com, dailymailUK.com, Access Hollywood.com, imdb.com, Vianvi Jewelry, lusterofsatin.tumbler.com